Feb 2016 – Present
Thinktiv works for a range of clients from early stage startups to Fortune 500 companies. I’m responsible for program/product management for various marketing and software projects.
July 2014 – Jan 2016
GridSpark is a small company owned by my wife and me. We use it for various contract gigs, including her freelance writing work and my consulting projects.
- Designed and built several large websites from scratch using WordPress, responsive themes, custom CSS, and carefully selected plugins
- Implemented hundreds of pages of content featuring complex, templatized custom layouts
- Organized, formatted, and prepped thousands of images for posting on various sites
- Created new logo / branding for several clients and applied changes across social channels
- Advised clients on SEO and content strategy using analytics data and industry knowledge
- Maintained site security, performance, and hosting for various clients
- Incubated new mobile app startup for several months, including UX design, branding, etc.
- Completed TechRanch program to refine startup biz model, marketing, and pitch
Sept 2013 – June 2014
EnviroMedia is an ad agency focused on environmental and social causes. While there, I worked on projects for car2go, TxDOT, Austin Energy, and various state agencies.
- Managed the creation of websites, banner ads, mobile apps, and analytics reports
- Oversaw internal and external developers, designers, and QA resources
- Developed timelines/budgets and tracked projects to ensure successful delivery
- Created wireframes and site maps to guide UI/UX on several projects
- Provided input on digital marketing strategies in written proposals and meetings
- Implemented web content updates using WordPress, HTML, CSS, Photoshop, etc.
- Maintained several client websites through software updates and server tweaks
- Used JIRA to assign tasks, provide feedback, prioritize issues, and track progress
- Examined analytics and provided recommendations based on this data
- Served as hiring manager for several positions in interactive department
- Created RFPs and managed proposal process for several outside vendors
- Provided guidance on 508 compliance issues for various state agency clients
- Reviewed completed projects and ensured smooth client hand-off
May 2012 – June 2013
Enspire builds custom learning applications, serious games, and simulations for a range of companies, nonprofits, and educational institutions. I was initially hired as AP and promoted to Producer shortly thereafter. While there, I worked on projects for Caterpillar, Symantec, Dell, AHA, EverFi, Kepner-Tregoe, InterAction, etc.
- Managed the creation of HTML5-based, rich media web apps
- Served as primary point of contact for clients (including several Fortune 500 firms)
- Ensured that deliverables met client needs and expectations
- Organized teams of designers, programmers, writers, QA, and audio/video pros
- Facilitated communication internally within cross-functional teams
- Created project timelines and ensured that work remained on schedule
- Developed budgets and created proposals to land new opportunities
- Utilized JIRA to create, assign, prioritize, clarify, and track issues
- Performed routine project tasks (manage files in SVN, run builds, edit XML, etc.)
- Participated in brainstorming sessions and provided input on design decisions
- Conducted final pass quality review on all releases
- Led internal and client-facing meetings
November 2011 – April 2012
Ricochet Labs (sold to Playdom) created social, location-based mobile games. While there, I worked on an unannounced mobile/social game for EA.
- Assisted Producer with various project management tasks
- Managed game content using spreadsheets, XML, and a custom database UI
- Wrote text for game tutorials and modified their content/appearance in JSON
- Attended regular meetings with client to discuss project milestones and deliverables
- Created and modified 2D game assets using Adobe Photoshop
- Tested builds, identified bugs, entered them in JIRA, and verified fixes
- Assisted with marketing, content creation, and support for the company’s live game
Assistant Product Manager
January 2011 – January 2012
Appconomy helps mobile app developers incorporate commerce and marketing features into their apps using its platform and services. While there, I worked on an unannounced mobile app and a community website.
- Managed UX and visual design on several projects
- Created wireframes for an iPhone/iPad app and community website
- Developed requirements list and researched solutions for community website
- Met with and evaluated prospective vendors/contractors for project
- Oversaw external contractors in building a Drupal-based site
- Created and maintained task lists in Basecamp to monitor development progress
- Participated in product strategy discussions
March 2011 – May 2011
Bazaarvoice builds software that helps companies integrate social interaction into their website. This assignment fulfilled a requirement of my MBA program.
- Interviewed various Bazaarvoice employees
- Researched enterprise B2B marketing best practices
- Developed recommendations on marketing strategy and execution
- Presented recommendations in person and in writing
Product & Marketing Intern
May 2010 – Aug 2010
Ricochet Labs created social, location-based mobile games. My internship here fulfilled a requirement of my MBA program. While there, I worked on QRANK, a trivia game for iPhone.
- Performed a variety of jobs in a fast-paced, startup environment
- Researched/documented various marketing and business issues
- Created high quality print and web marketing collateral using Adobe CS5
- Maintained, updated, and expanded company website using CMS, HTML, & CSS
- Participated in strategic discussions about product, pricing, and development
- Created daily content for game in the form of trivia questions
Audio Project Manager
Apr 2008 – July 2009
GL33k is a company focused on providing contract sound effects, music, and voice for video games. While there, I worked on the games Warrior Epic (for PC) and Go Play Lumberjacks (for Wii).
- Managed relationship with two major clients
- Developed full audio requirements list for a project
- Tracked audio progress using custom-designed spreadsheets
- Created sound effects for several games
Jan 2000 – Aug 2007
Earlier in my career, I worked at local game companies Retro Studios (owned by Nintendo), Ion Storm (owned by Eidos), and Human Code (acquired by Sapient). While there, I worked on the critically acclaimed games Metroid Prime 2 (GameCube), Metroid Prime 3 (Wii), Deus Ex 2 (Xbox), and Thief 3 (Xbox).
- Created thousands of sounds and implemented them using game editors & scripting systems
- Performed sound design, mixing, and mastering for a number of cutscenes
- Edited and organized several thousand lines of dialog
- Responsible for final pass audio quality control on large sections of several titles
- Worked closely with programmers, game designers, QA team, and artists
- Created and maintained audio requirements lists based on game design documents
- Tracked project milestones using various software tools
- Assisted in design and testing of in-house audio middleware